123: Managing Relationships with Advisors with Dr. Gloria J. Santos Acevedo
This week our special guest is Dr. Gloria J. Santos Acevedo (she/they) who discusses the topic of managing relationships with advisors.
Dr. Santos Acevedo obtained a PhD in Psychology from Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León and is a professor of education at an online university, an anti-racist educator, an activist for women’s rights, a certified sex counselor, an organic percussionist and a flamenco dancer.
In this episode we discuss:
– Her thoughts on how to navigate relationships when you inherit an advisor’s interpersonal conflicts with others
– How the Latinx culture impacts critical discourse and feedback among academics
– How to switch advisors without burning bridges
– The usefulness of having an external advisor or committee member and developing culturally-informed relationships
– How they got involved in social justice work, and much more!
You can connect with Dr. Santos Acevedo by following her at @hrhgloriasantos on Twitter and Instagram.
You can also listen to her Sentir rico podcast using the links below.
Join my exclusive community on Patreon to support the show: https://www.patreon.com/gradschoolfemtoring
Get my free 15-page Grad School Femtoring Resource Kit here: https://gradschoolfemtoring.com/kit/
Need more support, book a free half-hour coaching consultation: https://gradschoolfemtoring.com/services/
For this and more, go to: https://gradschoolfemtoring.com
Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/gradschoolfemtoring/message